Monday, November 23, 2015

The following hand was not perhaps very interesting but I think instructive.

I pick up K♠8♣A♥A♦ in the BB and the SB, a 40/16/1.0 fish completes so I raise max to .75 cents.  50bb effective.  the SB calls.  The 1.0 refers to aggression and this low figure generally means a fairly passive opponent.  The flop ($1.50) comes K♥6♠2♠ and my opponent checks.  Betting here is recommended with the plan to fold to a check raise.  Most likely if my passive opponent decides to check raise this will indicate a strong made hand or perhaps a big draw like K + spades.  But most of the time my opponent will not be check raising.  Aces should be good and my passive opponent may not play stronger holding aggressively allowing me to draw out and extract significant value when I do so.  He may also play some decent draws in such a weak passive manner that I am able to win against them as well.  Though somewhat draw heavy, my opponent is still tight enough that he is fairly unlikely to have smashed this flop and there is a lot to be said for simply betting because my hand is good enough to demand the pot now.

So I bet 2/3rds pot ($1) and my opponent called.  Maybe has 654, or a king, or spades, or a pair, who knows.  It is important not to get tunnel vision when trying to put your opponent on a hand.  It is not really possible to divine your opponents exact holding; instead allow your understanding of his tendencies to inform your strategic and tactical decisions.


The turn comes perfect, deuce of diamonds, he checks again, and I bet half pot and he folds.  My plan should be to bet liberally on turns, perhaps betting all turns.


No comments:

Post a Comment